Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 7- 8 (Arrowtown & Queenstown)


Early in the morning, we left Wanaka, the place that I love and head to Arrowtown.

One last picture of the small cabin I enjoyed so much!!


Arrowtown was fun with shopping! I thought it would be a small place and boring! But bcos there is nothing really much, so shops were set up for tourists like me to satisfy our shopping my shopping crave!

I enjoyed this sweet shop! Colors brings excitement!! I only have a small shopping basket.. Didnt get alot of things.. Not an implusive buyer and not a candy person.. Those in the basket are mainly for people.. just to satisfy my shopping crave.. haha!


Ooh, but I love this chocolate display counter and the lady cutting the freshly made chocolate for customers! They generously allowed us to try and try and try until we know what we want to buy. Free samples! Of course in the end, we honored their service by buying 6 kinds of flavors back!



I thought the name was great! Remarkable Sweet Shop. Later when I look at the map I realise that there is a mountain range in that area known as The Remarkables! Tt's why la!


Other shopping in the area include NZ jade jewellery shops (there is a jade craving shop there, quite similar to those you will see if you visit China), papua shell jewellery shops, souvneirs shops, boutiques. We bought papua shell pendant for me and jade pendant for my mum.

An interesting fact about Arrowtown is that there were a handful of early Chinese immigrants who settled in that area. They came to that place to dig for gold and make a living. What is left now of that area are some explanatory boards, old houses and autumn trees which reminded me and Paul of the harsh life they went through.


The small little dark house they stayed. Only enough for a single man. As they cook inside, the interior is dark with soot. I understand that the house is made small so that they can keep out burglar and cold wind.

The houses is about 1.5m in height. And the surface area of a toilet? I guess so..

Walking along the path is almost a solemn experience. You dont feel right or respectful to make jokes as you walk along the path where these early Chinese immigrants have walked before.

Finishing Arrowtown, on our way to QT.

Along the road from Arrowtown to Queenstown, Paul could not resist taking a picture of all these mail box. It is rather fascinating as to what people can make to use as a mailbox. We see old dvd players, another looking like a radio, taps etc etc.

N Paul is not fascinated with mail boxes, he is also interested in lamppost, big trucks etc.. Sounds like some childhood toys ya..

Queenstown is a busy small city filled with cars, pedestrians and some buses. (You see none of these public buses in the little towns but some buses in the cities)

Upon reaching Queenstown, I was already hungry that we went hunting for food! A small shop that sells fish and chips. So we quickly settled ourselves in that shop for a short break.

It was quite rush as I remember we were due to leave QT by 4pm in order to reach our next destination by night fall.


B4 leaving QT, we had an agenda. N that is to take the skyline gondola to some high places and see the city view of QT.


See the view behind us? QT is a city surrounded with nature. I guess in NZ, you cant run away from mountains and lakes. I am not sure about the North Island though.


A pity the 'luge' is undergoing maintenance, otherwise I would have a chance to do that in NZ. I have not tried the luge in Sentosa but thought I might be quite scared of the speed and height! Hmm, maybe the one in NZ would be scarier for me cos of the greater height and the cold wind!!

After the gondola, we were ready to move off to our 2nd last destination in NZ- also known as the end of the earth for the New Zealanders because on the highway map, that was the last town and after that, there is no more highway.

No comments: